The photo is from 1978. My son, his truck. Behind him, my truck.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What We Want (Part One)

Monday, January 26, 1987

My son, Will, says he wants to build something and needs my help.  Let's bear in mind: he's in nursery school. He's 4 years old. 

He goes downstairs to the basement workshop.  I follow.  It's his first building project. 

From the scrap pile he extracts a one foot 1x6. 

He wants a hole exactly in the center of the 1x6.  Little hands, big power drill.  Together we hold it.  Vroom.

Next from the scrap pile he extracts a 6 foot narrow strip of plywood.  With two hands choked up on the 16 ounce hammer he whack-whack-whacks a single nail through the hole we drilled in the 1x6, attaching it to the narrow strip of plywood - not to the end like an airplane but somewhere near the center. 

The 1x6 spins on the nail. 

"What is it?" I ask.

"It's what I want," Will says. 

Satisfied, we go upstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment